Tuam rebuilt

Published in Early Modern History (1500–1700), Features, Issue 5 (Sept/Oct 2012), Volume 20

St Mary’s Cathedral, Tuam—William Daniel was buried within upon his death in 1628.

St Mary’s Cathedral, Tuam—William Daniel was buried within upon his death in 1628.

Along with his Catholic counterpart Francis Kirwan, Archbishop Daniel is believed to have overseen the rebuilding of Tuam and its cathedral following the destruction of the Nine Years War. According to the Galway historian John Lynch (c. 1599–1677), he identified the famed relics of Tuam’s patron, St Jarlath, when they were recovered from their ruined shrine, Teampuill na Scríne, and left them with a local family ‘of some means’ so as to ensure their survival. It is possible that he left them with the Donelans, as they are reputed to have survived amongst their descendants, the O’Conor-Donelans, until the nineteenth century.

'


Copyright © 2021 History Publications Ltd, Unit 9, 78 Furze Road, Sandyford, Dublin 18, Ireland | Tel. +353-1-293 3568